5th Central Pay Commission – Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance @ rs.100/- p.m. to Central Government pensioners residing in area not covered under CGHS
No.45/57/97-P & PW (C)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensioners
(Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare)
New Delhi, the 19th December, 1997.
Subject: Implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the 5th Central Pay Commission – Grant of Fixed medical allowance @ rs.100/- p.m. to Central Government pensioners residing in area not covered under CGHS.
The understand is directed to State, that in pursuance of Governments decision on the recommendations of the 5th Central Pay Commission announced in this Departments resolution No.45/86/97-P&PW(A) dated 30.9.1997, sanction of the President is hereby a Concorde to the grant of fixed medical allowance @ Rs.100/- p.m. to Central Government pensioners/family pensioners residing in areas not covered by Central Government Health Scheme administered by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and corresponding Health Schemes administrative by other Ministries/Departments for their retired employees for meeting expenditure on day-to day medical expenses that do not require hospitalization .
2. The orders shall apply to Central Government: pensioners/ family pensioners!, who at time of retirement/death were governed by CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972 or other corresponding rules in operation prior to commencement of these rules and are eligible for medical facilities after retirement. Separate (orders will be issued by the respective administrative authorities in respect of members of Armed Forces, All India services and Railways pensioners/family pensioners.
3. Existing pensioners as well as the future retirees shall have to exercise one time option to avail of medical facilities under CGHS or other similar Health Scheme of their respective Ministry Department or to claim fixed medical allowance of Rs.100/-p.m. In the case of future retires, the option shall be obtained by the head of office along with other pension papers and incase the retiring employee opts for medical allowance, specified entry to this effect shall be made in both the halves of PPO. The CGHS or other medical authorities while issuing case to the pensioner shall check the position in this regard from PPO and restrict the facilities to be made available accordingly i.e., card is valid only for indoor/outdoor patient treatment, as the case may be.
4. In the case of existing pensioners if they opt for medical allowance, an undertaking shall be require to be submitted by claimants under CGHS or other similar Scheme administrative by the Central Government but are residing in areas where no such outdoor facilities are available. On the basic of this undertaking, pension disbursing authorities shall make an entry in regard to grant of medical allowance to the both halves of PPO of the Individual concerned and authorise payment of medical allowance. such an undertaking can be obtained by Rank, Departmental PAO and Treasury once every year along with other Certificates , the pensioners is to a pensioners/family pensioner is authorised by the pension disbursing authority, intimation to this effect shall be sent to the CPAO. Concerned Pay & Accounts Office in the prescribed proforma.
5. Ministry of health & Family Welfare/other concerned Ministries shall issue necessary instructions to all dispen-saries providing medical facilities to pensioners/family pensioners to check the PPO of the pensioners and endorse the CGHS od other card accordingly.
6. The payment shall be made to the pensioners by the pension disbursing authority pension/family pension of monthly basic.
7. The payment of medical allowance shall be counted for as a pat of is to head under pension and other Retirement receptions and for separats Head shall be opered for the purpose.
8. These orders will take effect from 1.12.1997.
9. In so for as, retired/retiring employees of Indian Audit and Accounts Department are concerned these orders have been issued after consultation with the controller and Auditor General of India.
ADDITIONAL, SECRETARY (PENSION)