5th Pay Commission – Fixed medical allowance @ Rs.100/- p.m. to Central Government pensioners residing in areas not covered under CGHS – clarifications in respect of existing pensioners
Medical Facilities for Pensioners
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
(Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare)
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,
Dated the 24th August, 1998
Subject: Implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the 5th Central Pay Commission – Grant of fixed medical allowance @ Rs.100/- p.m. to Central Government pensioners residing in areas not covered under CGHS – clarifications in respect of existing pensioners.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s O.M. of even number dated 19th December, 1997 on the subject mentioned above and to clarify the position with regard to paras 2,3 and 4 of the Office Memorandum:-
1. The recommendation of the Fifth Pay Commission for payment of fixed Medical Allowance is specifically for pensioners/family pensioners residing in areas not covered by CGHS.
2. The pensioners residing in a place where CGHS facilities are available cannot opt for Medical Allowance of Rs.100/- p.m. in lieu of OPD facilities.
3. As CGHS facility is not made compulsory to all the Central Government pensioners, there are several pensioners who have not opted for such facility at the time of their retirement. In such cases, the fixed Medical Allowance is not payable if they are residing in areas where CGHS facility exists.
The fixed Medical Allowance of Rs.100/- p.m. in lieu of OPD facilities has to be paid to the pensioners on the basis of declaration submitted by them that they are residing in the area where CGHS facility is not available.
In view of the position mentioned above it is further clarified that medical Allowance of Rs.100/- p.m. is only for pensioners/family pensioners residing in non-CGHS areas. Wherever CGHS facilities are available, the Medical Allowance is not payable to the pensioners.
1. Option for Medical Allowance is to be given by only those pensioners who are residing outside CGHS areas.
2. Wherever Medical Allowance of Rs.100/-p.m. has been paid to the pensioners who are residing in areas where CGHS facilities are available, suitable recoveries may be made from them.
3. A list of cities where CGHS facilities are available is enclosed for guidance.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India.
LIST OF CITIES COVERED UNDER THE CGHS